Seattle, Washington, United States
For those who love coffee, poetry, art, or stories - stay. Have a cup with us.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Finding Yourself in Your Stuff...or Pieces, Anyway

I was given an interesting assignment for Theology class this week. I was asked to write a paper on three different objects that could be found in my house. One object had to represent myself, one object had to represent my family, and one object had to represent my community of friends. I chose three different objects and wrote an overly dramatic paper about the importance of each one.

I was most interested by the object I chose for myself. While it accurately represents a large portion of my personality, it could not hope to capture my entire essence. It got me thinking: is there anything that could capture my entire essence? Or any one's entire essence for that matter?

If I were asked to pick an object to encapsulate..oh, I don't know...say - Lindsay Lohan - I might pick a court DUI summons. But what would Lindsay pick? If we asked her to be completely objective, honest, and realistic, what would she choose to represent her life? Would it be a shot glass, an intravenous drug needle, a copy of The Parent Trap? Or would it be a family photo, a necklace from her grandmother, the first script she fell in love with?

I don't mean to be rude to Ms. Lohan (who I'm rooting for one hundred percent). I simply want to illustrate the difference between what we see of a person and what a person sees of themselves. When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Do you see a person you're proud of? A person who lives up to all of the praise your friends give you? I hope you do.

Try picking an object that represents you. Look, think, ponder, and ask yourself what you want to represent in that object, because I promise you won't get your entire soul into it. Your coffee is too strong for that small of a cup.

May your coffee be strong, your passions electric, and your laughter easy.
-Michael

To get into the author's head just a little bit, visit: http://www.twitter.com/MichaelJAbraham

No comments:

Post a Comment