Seattle, Washington, United States
For those who love coffee, poetry, art, or stories - stay. Have a cup with us.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Wishing for Sick Days?

First off, I'd like to take a quick moment to wish a slightly belated "Happy Birthday" to my grandpa, John Emery. I know I called you, but I thought I'd make it official, eh?

Anyway, today I'd like to blog about being sick. For some reason, when I'm not sick, being sick sounds like heaven. Staying home from school (if you're lucky), having a perfect excuse for being tired all the time, and that glorious sympathy - well, it all makes it seem rather fantastic, no?

But when you're actually sick?

There are very few things more irritating than sneezing (explosively) and coughing (painfully) every few seconds. Especially, when you've already skipped school several days in a row and you know you have to down a few doses of cold medicine and drag yourself to the infernal hall of mental cultivation. And, of course, you spend the entire day milking the illness for all its worth.

"Michael, are you sick?"
*Sniff* "Yeah. Really sick, to tell you the truth. But don't worry about it. I'll be fine, I'm sure..."
"Oh! You poor baby!"

It's so validating!

So why write to you about being sick today? Besides the fact that I am sick, I think it's funny the way we look at disabilities, obstacles, and handicaps when we're outside of them versus when we are battling them. We see a handicap and, often, all we really see in that handicap is what we could get out of it if we were "lucky" enough to be faced with it. I hope that sentence made sense, because it's an important one. We don't tend to grasp the negative of a negative situation until that situation is all about us.

Now I'm not saying that we wish we had cancer. I'm not saying you want oral surgery or Down Syndrome. But have you ever thought: How nice it would be if my legs didn't work and I could sit in a chair all day long? Sure, you don't really mean it; you're just tired of standing up. But isn't the thought - just the very thought - disrespectful to someone who wants nothing more than to walk on a beach?

I guess it's just something to think about.

Hope my rambling strengthened your coffee this week. Hopefully, I'll get my coffee up to snuff by the weekend.

May your coffee be strong, your passions electric, and your laughter easy.
-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment