Seattle, Washington, United States
For those who love coffee, poetry, art, or stories - stay. Have a cup with us.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Five Dollars Well Spent

I trust you've all had a very festive week, Coffee Lovers. It seems like Christmas comes knocking and the entire universe goes topsy-turvy without nary a complaint. We all get swept up (if you will) in the spirit of the holidays.

Well, I have a confession. I think the red, the green, the snowmen, the reindeer, the Advent calendars, and peppermint bark are ridiculous. I've never been a huge fan. America has single-handedly turned the Twelve Days of Christmas into the Entire Month of the Politically Correct Holidays. Anyone who has ever spent time with me inside of a mall in December knows that my dearest wish is that we would just celebrate Christmas the way we celebrate Thanksgiving - one day of prep, maybe a bit of shopping, it comes, it goes, we're done.

But I got my miserly, overly-Scrooged heart warmed today. Maybe I don't love the unnecessary pomp, but I do love giving gifts. So today I brought a gift to a teacher who may have one of the hardest jobs on the face of the earth. I told her I had a present for her as I started digging around in my backpack. I looked up, shocked, to see that she had tears in her eyes. She looked like she was about ready to look behind her, as if maybe her more-deserving-identical twin was standing just over her left shoulder. But, of course, she has no twin. And there are few people I know more deserving.

So she took her gift, choked up, and told me that it would be a permanent fixture in her family's home. I left her classroom not so much smiling as beaming. It was the first time, in a December filled with Santa commercials and Christmas carols, that I'd felt any sort of holiday spirit. And it was so nice to know that someone's day was made because I took the effort to bring them a five dollar gift.

And isn't that the point of the whole holiday? We don't have to spend a lot to make it worth while. It's easy to associate December with blow-out sales and elves. But this year I will associate December with the image of a very tired woman who teared up because someone brought her a gift.

Go give, go receive, go carol - for tis the season, Coffee Lovers.

May your coffee be strong, your passions electric, and your laughter easy.
-Michael

2 comments:

  1. This makes me really, really happy. You're amazing, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that entry quite a bit because I know how you feel about Christmas. Quite well, actually. So I want you to view it from an outsiders perspective. I know how you sometimes feel about the human race and would like you to take a moment and think about what you did for her. Is that why we have the pc holiday month? So that there are more opportunities for things like this? That's human spirit. Now I have shared my thoughtfulness with you.

    ReplyDelete