Seattle, Washington, United States
For those who love coffee, poetry, art, or stories - stay. Have a cup with us.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Simple and Beautiful.

Life isn't that complicated.

Coming from me, that statement is like a priest proclaiming, "Satan isn't all that bad." When my life isn't complicated, I find ways to complicate it. I am one of the most complicated people I know. But I was listening to a song by Regina Spektor this week. It's called "On the Radio." She spends about four minutes regaling her audience with simple, obvious statements about life.

This is how it works - you're young until you're not; you love until you don't; you try until you can't; you laugh until you cry; you cry until you laugh, and everyone must breathe until their dying breath. Those are some of the lyrics in the second verse. There is nothing profound about these words except for their profoundly beautiful simplicity.

We make things too hard. We create rules, social politics, and games. We set expectations, tell lies, and go around pretending at friendship. I'm guilty of all of those things. I have a very clear idea of how people should act around me, and, when those expectations aren't met, I find ways of changing that social disappointment into a personal insult.

But why? Why care? Why expect? Why try to control and complicate? Everyone must breathe until their dying breath. That's a lot of time, and a lot of rules could be made, broken, and remade in that time. Honestly, the idea of spending the next sixty-some years of my life telling people how to act in my presence is exhausting.

We cannot prevent disappointment, or, at least, I can't. The only people who make it through life with minimal disappointment are those like Emily Dickinson, who are so afraid of facing broken rules that they never leave their homes. That is not a Stronger Coffee existance.

But crying, laughing, aging, and breathing? Those are the things I believe in.

May your coffee be strong, your passions electric, and your laughter easy.
-Michael

1 comment:

  1. I think you might be misreading Dickinson's reasons for her choices. We will have a chat sometime, eh?

    ReplyDelete