Seattle, Washington, United States
For those who love coffee, poetry, art, or stories - stay. Have a cup with us.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

i won't say goodbye

The world changed on Wednesday, the 25th of May. It quite literally did a handstand and landed on its neck, spiritually paralyzing it for at least a month and a half. That's right: the Oprah Winfrey Show ended.

All joking aside, those of you who have read for a while probably aren't surprised that I'm quite the admirer of Oprah. Her broad concept of divinty, her focus on service, her gentle strength, her wealth of self-confidence, her openmindedness, her out-of-the-box-I-don't-give-a-damn-what-you-think approach to life and entertainment - she and I agree on a lot.

I watched her farewell episode today. And it made me think about a few things. I was struck (happily) by how Ms. Winfrey ended the episode: "I won't say goodbye. I'll just say 'Until we meet again.'"

I feel like we make a big deal of goodbyes in our culture. We have so many words for leavetaking. We use so many phrases to cut the strings which tie us to others. But I say, Coffee Lovers, no more! It ends here. There is no such thing as goodbye. We are commonly and truly united by love. There is nothing that can separate us from each other. Human being, ape, chimp, rock, tree, blade of grass, poppy seed, child, woman, adult, blogger, talk-show host - we aren't leaving anyone anywhere.

I felt like this was timely for me. I've said goodbye to four people this last week. And somewhere else in my life I feel as though I'm saying goodbye to some old friends - as if we are drifting into too many directions for maps or day planners to keep up. But I refuse to see life that way. There are no goodbyes anymore, at least, not for me.

There are just "Catch ya later" and "'Til next time" and, of course, "Until we meet again." Life is love, which is energy, which is human, which means everyone.

If you followed that, then I think you understand why "goodbye" is officially burned out of Michael Abraham's vernacular.

Coffee is a social drink. The café is a home for friends, for strangers, lovers of words and espresso, believers in god, science, followers of Buddha, French teenagers, American senior citizens, the opressed who need community, and the leaders who need quiet. We meet in these places, with this lovely, sacred drink. We meet once, one precious time. And that's it?

Hah. If only it were that simple. But I'm certain we're just waiting for an "until we meet again."

May your coffee be strong, your passions electric, and your laughter easy.
-michael

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I think this is my favorite entry ever. I say this with difficulty because of course, you are a wonder and everything you write is beautiful and inspiring and such a pleasure to read, but I love this so much. The last paragraph, from "Coffee is a social drink" to the end, aa;lskjfda;lskjdfal;skdfj;alsjkf <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete