Seattle, Washington, United States
For those who love coffee, poetry, art, or stories - stay. Have a cup with us.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

sunday sip: to a mother

In honor of Mother's Day, I wanted to put up the poem I wrote for my own mother. She is one of the most important people in my life, and I hope she feels honored today.


the adventure days


somewhere there are mountains.

and we are climbing,
somewhere there are oceans that of course
we must swim,
there are fields through which we run
and forests that have no names
save those in our hearts -
my mother and I.
adventures flow
from blood to blood.
they are thicker than water, after all.
arms that encircle and gentle smiles
in the chocolate twilight,
these I learned from my mother.
how to greet the day
with coffee and quietness,
how to throw up hands
surrender
embrace - these, too, were her lessons.
dancing in the wildness of sunshine
was our game.
there are cities to be tamed,
sweets to be eaten,
people to be met and loved - yes,
my mother gave me these gifts.
I thank mother nature,
who taught me sight. but
she was not the mother
who taught me to marvel.
to a mother who taught me first to feel
and then to sing out
scream out
speak out and be known. to a mother
who knows passion-like-tempests,
who has mastered the winds.
to a mother whose eyes twinkle,
because eyes should.
to a mother who speaks
and who sings, and who loves.
I am ready for the adventure days,
because

somewhere there are mountains.


I love you, Mom.
-michael

No comments:

Post a Comment