Seattle, Washington, United States
For those who love coffee, poetry, art, or stories - stay. Have a cup with us.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

howl no more

I'm frustrated, Coffee Lovers. I'm so incredibly, undeniably, inescapably frustrated.

I have always told people that I feel so blessed to have been born into the time period that I was. I still hold that opinion. However, I'm sick and tired of our culture's definition of beauty. I'm tired of looking at models who were created in computers. I'm tired of photoshop dictating how teenagers are supposed to feel about themselves. I'm tired of seeing "true beauty" movements go unheard and unnoticed because it's easier to hate ourselves.

To quote a poem I recently wrote: be still the wolves and howl no more!

America is broken in a way it has never been before. We pay millions upon millions of dollars to people whose sole job is to sell products by telling our daughters, sons, nephews, nieces, mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends that they are not good enough. Actually, it's more insidious than that. The media's message isn't: "You're not good enough." The media's message is: "They are good enough."

I spent a lot of time talking with a friend about this today. The struggle to be beautiful, to feel good about yourself, to look "acceptable" - how painful. We must stop this. It's a cycle that will not make us strong. It will make us weaker and weaker and weaker. Just because we're beautiful doesn't mean we're invincible.

It is time to stop fearing and start living. It is time to stop judging and start loving. It is time to stop comparing and start experiencing. We are what we are and we look how we look. But we make the decision about how we feel and how we treat people of all shapes, colors, creeds, and cultures.

You are beautiful. Don't let the wolves tell you anything different.

May your coffee be strong, your passions electric, and your laughter easy.
-michael

2 comments:

  1. It's more about being self-absorbed. When we start serving others, that self obsession/insecurity diminishes. :-)

    Learned THAT one the hard way in high school...haha stay ahead of the storm if you can :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a beautiful human Michael!

    ReplyDelete