Seattle, Washington, United States
For those who love coffee, poetry, art, or stories - stay. Have a cup with us.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

51

I was mildly disturbed by a piece of feedback I received about a week ago. Someone close to me, whose opinion I value very highly, told me that my world view is operatively negative, i.e. that my values are good, but the way in which I communicate and structure those values retards their real-world applicability. I was angry, offended, and immediately defensive.

But, after some thinking, I went back and read a blog post that I have since deleted about the body politic in the United States, and I realized that while I may not be entirely operatively negative, I sometimes forget what I really stand for. So, let's get something straight:

I believe in passion, compassion, and action.

But I also believe in thankfulness, and maybe sometimes that doesn't come through. So, here is my list of fifty-one reasons to smile and be glad:

Sunsets
Sunrises
Smiles from strangers
Walking in the rain
Being free
Feeling free
Singing badly in public
The smell of new books
The smell of old books
Commas
That way that children smile
That way that the elderly smile
Playing tag in August
Old friends
New friends
Feeling comfortable in your skin
Feeling uncomfortable in your environment
(Learning to deal with the above, and smiling through it)
Peace, even if it's an illusion
Unity, even if it's more of an illusion
Choosing to believe those things aren't illusions
Modern medicine
Ancient fables
Other languages
This language
Quiet music
Sunday dinner with the family
Monday mornings
Friday afternoons
Sunshine on Saturday
Thunder on Thursday
Midnight
3 AM
Long lunches
Trees that have faces
Seashells
Latin
How small the world is
How vast
The ability to wonder
Daydreams
When you realize it was just a nightmare
The fact that Abraham Lincoln started wearing a top hat because a letter from a young girl told him he'd look good in one
The fact that the Dalai Lama has worn pants only once and found it highly uncomfortable
The fact that Walt Disney was afraid of mice
Mothers & fathers & brothers & sisters & grandparents & aunts & uncles & cousins & second-cousins-twice-removed-from-Europe
Laughter
Weeping
Food and Water
Shelter and Safety

and, of course:
Coffee

May your coffee be strong, your passions electric, and your laughter easy.
—michael




3 comments:

  1. You forgot Thai food.
    <3 Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never told you this but I totally kept up on and read every single one of these posts you did over the summer while I was gone :) this one made me especially happy and I have saved it to my favorites and keep reading through it. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read your blog for a while, but i had some inspiration to start my own. love-life-lax.blogspot.com. Although my writing is not as amazing as yours, i needed an outlet to where i could put my thoughts. This post made me smile the most i think i will post something like it.
    Since First Grade,
    Colin

    ReplyDelete